David Underwood; Underwood Artworks.
Welcome to my web site, and thanks for taking a look.
Released in 2020, an artist profile & virtual studio visit, on the Locate Arts website:
Published online in June 2020, the "Locate Arts" website has a virtual visit with me in my art studio. Locate Arts is an information website about artists and exhibitions in Tennessee. Check out the visit here: https://locatearts.org/the-focus/2020/virtual-studio-visit-david-underwood
Bullet points about me:
• Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
• BA Degree in Photography, Carson-Newman College, 1982.
• MFA Degree in Studio Art, Florida State University, 1990.
• Artwork included in the permanent collections of 16 museums (listed below).
• 32 solo exhibitions, including most recently at the Marcia Evans Gallery, Columbus, Ohio (June 2022).
• First museum solo exhibition was at William King Museum of Art, Abingdon, Virginia, in 2011.
• Artwork included in 130+ group exhibitions (most juried by prominent arts professionals). Complete list of exhibitions available upon request.
• Nine awards won in various juried group exhibitions.
• 32+ years of teaching Art & Photography at Carson-Newman University, 1990 to present. Taught 20 different college Art courses; specialities are analog photography, antique/alternative photography, and our Art Department's Senior Seminar.
• Currently Professor of Art, and Director of Exhibitions, at Carson-Newman University, Jefferson City, Tennessee.
• Former Chairperson (2000-2013) of the Art Department at Carson-Newman University (NASAD accredited).
• Directed/Curated more than 300 exhibitions of art by students and by professional guest artists at Carson-Newman University in our two galleries.
• Redesigned the curriculum for the BA Photography major twice at C-NU.
• Happily married for 37 years (and counting) to the poet & writer, Susan O'Dell Underwood.
• Travelled in 49 states of the USA, plus some travel in Europe and Canada.
• Visited 150+ National Parks & Monuments of the USA.
• Art Director and Co-Founder (with my wife) of Sapling Grove Press (currently on hiatus from publishing or reviewing submissions).
• Editor of the book, RICH COMMUNITY: AN ANTHOLOGY OF APPALACHIAN PHOTOGRAPHERS (Sapling Grove Press).
• Stock photographs represented by Universal Images Group.
• Currently seeking museum exhibitions and commercial gallery exhibitions and representation. I have a large inventory of museum-quality artwork on hand.
• I also sell my work directly from this website; contact me with any purchase interests.
Upon request, I will be happy to e-mail you a PDF copy or snail-mail you a paper copy of my complete 20+page CV, which includes my complete exhibition record of all solo and group exhibitions, a list of the museums that include my work in their collections, and a summary of my ongoing academic career. My darkroom and my main artmaking studio are on campus where I teach, and I'd welcome a studio visit if you would like to see some actual work. Please send me an e-mail or give me a call with any questions: email@example.com; phone 865-471-3572. Cheers!
PERMANENT COLLECTIONS; 16 MUSEUMS:Asheville Art Museum, Asheville, North Carolina.
PERMANENT COLLECTIONS; 8 UNIVERSITIES & COLLEGES:Carroll Reese Museum of Art, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City.